Find a great DPS school for your student!
At Denver Public Schools, everything we do is directed toward our goal of having Great Schools in Every Neighborhood. SchoolChoice plays a key role in attaining that goal. Any DPS student who wants to attend a school other than their automatically assigned neighborhood school can take part in SchoolChoice.
About Round 1
If you want to enroll in a DPS school other than your neighborhood school for the 2019-20 school year, you may take part in Round 1 of SchoolChoice. Please note:
- Incoming preschool and kindergarten students must participate in SchoolChoice on a yearly basis; due to space limitations, enrollment in a preschool program is not guaranteed.
- If your student is currently in kindergarten through 11th grade and will be staying at his or her current school for 2019-20, you do not have to fill out a SchoolChoice application.*
To participate in SchoolChoice for the 2019-20 school year, families submit one SchoolChoice application per student, on which they rank their top schools in order of preference, up to a limit of 12. DPS then uses a computer algorithm that matches students to schools based on those preferences, as well as school admission priorities and available space. The next SchoolChoice Round 1 window is Jan. 15 to Feb. 15, 2019. Click here for a recap of last year’s SchoolChoice process, including participation and match percentages.
Here’s how it works:
- Find: First, to prepare for SchoolChoice, learn more about schools in which you might be interested, starting with your neighborhood school. Check out the School Finder, read the Great Schools Enrollment Guides, attend one or more Regional School Expos (Jan. 15-17, 2019) and tour individual schools.
- Apply: Create your account here. (You may use your Parent Portal account username and password to log in). Then, fill out and submit the SchoolChoice application – including ranking your most-preferred schools – any time during the month-long Choice window. See below for more information on our online, mobile-friendly application tool.
- Register: Once placement notifications are sent in late March, contact your school for registration information.